Bundles, a draft specification

Thomas Leonard talex5 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 10:45:33 PDT 2007

On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 12:20:12 +0200, Mildred wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I sent a message a while ago on this list about bundles without having
> an answer. So I finally created a draft specification for this.
>
> http://mildred817.free.fr/Misc/Computer/Ideas/Spec/Bundles.html
> http://mildred817.free.fr/Misc/Computer/Ideas/Spec/Bundles/
Bookmark_Bundle.html
> http://mildred817.free.fr/Misc/Computer/Ideas/Spec/Bundles/
Metadata_Bundle.html
> Please excuse the language ...
>
> Bundles are directories that contains others files.

Normal directories also contain other files. What's special about a
bundle?

> And these directories (called bundles) are to be handled differently by
> files managers than usual directories, more like files.

In what way are they handled differently?

> The basic bundle specification just describe the structure of a bundle.
> This includes a database that stores mime types for all files in the
> bundle.

Why are the MIME types not stored in the same way as for normal
directories? i.e. as extended attributes (if specified at all), or
guessed from the name or contents of the file otherwise.

> Then there are two others specifications, one that defines a bookmark
> containing an URI and the cached version of the page the URi refers to,
> and the others contains only a desktop file and specifies that files
> managers should treat this bundle as if it was the desktop file.

As an executable bundle? How does this differ from a normal application
directory?

 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Application_directory

> Please tell me what you think about this. This is still a draft I just
> wrote.

Some clarifications would be useful.

--
Dr Thomas Leonard		http://rox.sourceforge.net