[XESAM] Aiming for RC1 this sunday. Missing pieces...

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 12:22:56 PDT 2007

2007/9/14, Arun Raghavan <arunisgod at gmail.com>:

> On 9/14/07, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen <mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com> wrote:
> <snip>
> > Man I love speaking to myself :-) Anyways, I just completed (4). Check
> it
> > out at http://wiki.freedesktop.org/wiki/XesamQueryLanguage
> > and gimme the flames...
>
> Looks good!
>
> One question -- is:
>
> <fullText>
> </fullText>
>
> equivalent to
>
> <equals>
>   <fullTextFields/>
> </equals>
>
> or
>
> <contains>
>   <fullTextFields/>
> <contains>
>
> or neither? If either. isn't <fullText> redundant?
>
> Also, I think some more documentation (or an example) of what the
> vendor.extensions property is supposed to look like would be nice.

It would most closely match  the example with the contains selector i guess.
The point in the fullText selector is that it is weakly defined. It can do
more elaborate matching than the straight contains selector. Some
implementations could incur some level of fuzziness or something.

Maybe the fullText description should stress this. Something like:

"Search in everything that makes sense and match to the best of the engines
ability. The most basic matching would be equivalent to the contains
selector, but more elaborate matching, fx via fuzzyness, is also allowed."

I will put up an example of vendor.extensions usage.

Cheers,
Mikkel