[XESAM] Aiming for RC1 this sunday. Missing pieces...

Joe Shaw joe at joeshaw.org
Mon Sep 17 11:59:42 PDT 2007

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in replying to this.

On 9/13/07, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen <mikkel.kamstrup at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been discussing with Evgeny on IRC, and we agreed that it should be
> possible to compile XESAM 1.0 RC1 spec for this sunday (2007-09-16).

I feel fairly conflicted about this.

On the one hand, people are somewhat unlikely to implement a spec if
it's incomplete, but on the other hand I get the impression that there
aren't many reference implementations of the spec right now, and even
more unsure whether they've been tested among one another.

What projects have implemented the server side of the spec?  For
Beagle we currently have an external adaptor which transforms Xesam
queries into Beagle queries and maps the results back out.  I'm not
aware of any other projects which have implemented the server side.

Similarly, who has implemented on the client?  I am only aware of the
reference tests that Mikkel has written.  Beagle doesn't have a
client.  If there are other clients out there, has anyone tested
against the Beagle-Xesam adaptor?  I sure haven't.  I know Arun did do
the server work using the reference client.

I am particularly nervous about not having a "real" GUI client which
implements the spec and how well it scales to real-world (ie, 1000+
matches) situations.

Joe