SpatialBundles

Luca Cappelletti luca.cappelletti at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 08:00:28 PDT 2007

Hi Alexander,

On 9/21/07, Alexander Larsson <alexl at redhat.com> wrote:

> How do you at
> runtime know where the bundle is?

This is a good point to review.
I'm working on it.
My actual solution is to export as a global env it's own position to the
final binary.I'm experimenting. I find it dangerous if the user change the
bundle position.
Now I'm experimenting using live clone of the bundle fixed into $RANDOM disk
cache folder so you'll have a fixed position of the bundle.
This involve more space but today it's not a problem in a desktop.
I'm thinking on it.
Regarding binreloc: it's not a problem of the SpatialBundle.
Today the process to build a SpatialBundle involve a well defined steps:
1) Compile against /tmp/Programs (performance, security, rootless,
shareability, findability, my actual choose open to review,...)
2) Add your own wrapper and some beautification following my baseline
convention (now going to refine better before the big announce)
3) Build with SpatialFactory tool
And you have a file
chmod +x FILE
./FILE or click on file and it run!!
Now you're free to spread through the world your application.

My main target is to be so generic that an unskilled user one day could
build their own data bundle (with music, pictures, documents etc etc inside)
with just one clic!!!
All this are file/objects with attributes and methods to manipulate the
inner and outer world.

You can image it like a .zip with and autorun inside and some desktop
oriented services (now I'm embedding libnotify, osd notification, granular
dialogs depends on system like autopackage do).
With the .zip you need a method provide by system to open and parse the
inner objects.
With SpatialBundle now, you need bash and you can build application based
ora data based or mixed one bundles.

Related to nautilus, you're absolute right, in my list it's the only one
that I made without recompiling.
I mean that you can build SpatialBundles acts just like proxy to already
installed packages (like a lot of klik or ROX AppDir already do).I did it
with nautilus and gnome-terminal but you can do it for every single piece of
a standard gnome installation (kde xfce e17 ... too).
In this latter case you can consider to provide end user with a
SpatialBundle proxy tha let them manipulate it like a generic file/objects.
They feel better.

Luca

--
---
Luca Cappelletti

"...Together we stand, divided we fall."

.O.
..O
OOO

Skype: luca <dot> cappelletti
Linux Registered User: #223411
Ubuntu Registered User: #7221
http://www.advogato.org/person/mutek/
http://persone.softwarelibero.org/person/mutek
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LucaCappelletti/
"l'intelligenza è utile per la sopravvivenza se ci permette di estinguere
una cattiva idea prima che la cattiva idea estingua noi"

"La chiave di ogni uomo è il suo pensiero. Benché egli possa apparire saldo
e autonomo, ha un criterio cui obbedisce, che è l'idea in base alla quale
classifica tutte le cose. Può essere cambiato solo mostrandogli una nuova
idea che sovrasti la sua"

"Uno studioso è soltanto un modo in cui una biblioteca crea un'altra
biblioteca "