Fwd: Re: JobViewServer specification proposal

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Apr 9 23:26:41 PDT 2008

On Wednesday 09 April 2008, Ethan Osten wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-04-09 at 19:40 +0200, Rafael Fernández López wrote:
> > However I really agree this is for sure not the best solution. What other
> > alternatives we have assuring that they are cross-desktop ?
>
> Specify some file type, perhaps based on the same principle as desktop
> files, with allowance for translated versions. If a particular type

.. and a standardized location, though one could build on the XDG_*_DIRS for
that with minimal effort.

> 	[Unit Type]
> 	Name=Unit
> 	Display=units
> 	Display[en_US][1]=unit

you'd probably want to reverse the []'d parts to leverage existing .desktop
file localization code.

> 	etc.
>
> So that normally it would show up as "Application has X units," but
> "Application has 1 unit."

of course, there are languages with different numerical break points (e.g. 2,
3, 10, 100, ..) for changes in plural phrases. this could quickly get a bit
tricky =)

> This could obviously use some work; not every language would have the
> subject application at the beginning,

that's easy enough by providing the full phrase with placeholders, e.g. "%1
units".

in any case, this is functionally equivalent to providing the translations on
the client side, is it not? so why bother with yet another corpus of files
and just do the translations client side where the units aren't available in
the spec. obviously this means less standardized texts (but common use cases
can be folded into the spec over time ... still means we need a compatibility
mechanism) and defining exactly what the use cases for these texts are
(e.g. "will be shown in a progress meter") ...

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se