Desktop menu - new category

Justin Clift justin at salasaga.org
Mon Apr 14 03:40:15 PDT 2008

Vincent Untz wrote:
> Le mercredi 09 avril 2008, à 22:32 +0200, jmehdi a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm the admin of the Ubuntu Muslim Edition and I want to add a
>> "Religion" menu in the Applications Gnome menu.
>> I saw here:
>> http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/menu-spec-0.9.html#category-registry
>> that no category exists to classify "religious" software. What do you
>> think about adding such a category?
>> Or should I create a "X-Religion" category? Is it best practice?
>
> I guess it can make sense to add Religion as an additional category. We
> just need to choose one main category for this. From the list, I'd say
> the ones that look more or less related are Education and Utility.
> Utility makes most sense to me.
>
> Opinions?

Actually, the thing that I'm having the most trouble with at the moment
  is deciding upon the correct er... description word.

"Religion" is probably not the best choice, because many people of
spiritual faith *strongly* object to the use of their faith being
described as a "Religion".

Specifically remembering having a conversation a while ago with some
Charismatic Christians, and who very much hate their belief being
described as a "Religion".

To them, the word "Religion" has meaning they find abhorrent (?!), and
not related to their beliefs.

Better description word suggestions?

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift