request for a GPE Registered Category

D Marlin damarlin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 13:41:17 PDT 2008

I was attempting to validate some GPE Palmtop Environment (GPE)
application desktop entries using the desktop-file-validate utility,
but received an error:

    $ desktop-file-validate gpe-gallery.desktop
    gpe-gallery.desktop: error: value "Graphics;Viewer;GPE;" for key
"Categories"
        in group "Desktop Entry" contains an unregistered value "GPE"

As indicated on the GPE project page (http://gpe.linuxtogo.org/):

   GPE provides an infrastructure for easy and powerful application
development by building
   on available technology including GTK+, SQLite, DBUS and GStreamer
and several more
   common standards defined by freedesktop.org.

so GPE is working to comply with existing standards.  In support of
this effort, I would like to request the registration of an Additional
Category for GPE:

  Additional                                         Related
  Category    Description                            Categories
  GPE	      Applications based on GPE libraries    GTK

GPE is a GUI environment, similar to KDE or GNOME, but designed for
resource constrained devices (limited display area and input methods).

Please let me know if you have any questions regarding this request,
or require additional information.  Comments and suggestions are
appreciated.

Thank you for considering this request,

d.marlin