Proposal: Inharitance for Desktop Entry Spec

洪任諭 pcman.tw at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 05:08:59 PDT 2008

Combining all desktop files with the same name is a good idea.
However, this doesn't solve the problem where two different files are
only different from Exec key, such as the case of synaptic.desktop and
synaptic-kde.desktop.
Having to copy the whole files just to modify one line is apparently
not a good idea.
This is why I think inheritance is needed.

Also, I think there should be a key named 'Sudo'.
If a desktop file contains a line like this:
Sudo=root
That means, the program invoking the application should run it as root
with gksu, kdesu, or whatever su.
The GUI frontend of sudo shouldn't be hard-coded in Exec, which is very dirty.
Having two different for the same applications just to use gksu under
gnome and kdesu under kde is quite ridiculous. Current implementations
duplicate all the translations and other keys, set NotShowIn or
OnlyShowIn, and then hard-code gksu and kdesu respectively for two
different deksktop files. This doesn't make sense at all.
There should be another key for this, really, just like the Terminal key.