Open application binary interface

Damjan Jovanovic damjan.jov at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 03:08:14 PDT 2008

On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 10:47 AM,  <dan_500 at web.de> wrote:
> This topic is may a bit OT: Why there is no open application binary
>  interface? I could use any binary on any operating system which support
>  this standard. In the moment I can't use my linux executables on Solaris
>  or FreeBSD and I can't use the Solaris kernel for Ubuntu without using
>  solaris packages from Nexenta project.

The ELF binary format is a standard used by several UNIX systems. The
INT 0x80 system call interface Linux uses was(/is?) also used by BSD.

The problems are, there is no standard for library names and symbols,
so if you link to /lib/libc.so.6 on Linux another UNIX might call that
library something different, and the ELF ABI is specific to each
architecture, eg. 32 and 64 bit x86 systems do some things differently
in ELF.

Java. Java :-).

Bye
Damjan