Commit notifications for specs

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Apr 29 12:34:24 PDT 2008

On Tuesday 29 April 2008, Toni Ruottu wrote:
> > spec as you do now but have the latest version always in the shared git
> > repo?
>
> That is how people usually work with distributed version control tools.

while this is awesome for source code where forking and working on branches is
good for obvious reasons, when it comes to specifications that are supposed
to define and codify standard behaviours it's almost counter-productive.

you specifically *don't* want specifications to fork and be worked on
randomly; there is a low rate of edit conflict; having a clearly canonical
version is critical ....

i agree having things in a repository would be very useful, pimping the
benefits of a distributed revision control system is a bit pointless in this
context imho. one can still use a distributed rcs, but it would't be so
forking and parallel work can be enabled.

> Untz, do you have a reason for preferring GIT over Bazaar? I'm not

i don't know about Untz, but i'd suggest it's a simple matter of critical
mass. the amount of git usage out there and the rate of growth is pretty
astounding.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se