Commit notifications for specs

Rodrigo Moya rodrigo at gnome-db.org
Wed Apr 30 11:30:19 PDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 16:54 -0600, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> i completely support an open repository (git, svn .. *whatever*) for the specs
> where anyone involved can work in a branch until it's ready to merge into
> mainline. the merging would be done by the editors themselves. waiting on
> people to gatekeep is inneficient and really antithetical to the open source
> methodology anyways.
>
> i think having a canonical location for either hosting these branches is also
> important so we can all work together without chasing down repository
> locations. (a shared git repo is an obvious answer, and probably easy given
> it's already what is in use at fd.o)

what if we just use branches for each version of each spec? That is, I
start a new spec, it's approved, which makes it go to version 1.0 with
its own branch. Only minor revisions would be accepted there. Then,
trunk/head/master would be the 'playground' for new versions of the
spec, but won't move to its own branch (version 2.0) until it's
approved.

Then, we can have a place where the approved specs with their versions
are listed. If a spec doesn't have a 1.0 version, it has never been
approved.

There could even be a "virtual" module (or whatever it's called in git)
called 'official-specs' which pulls down the correct branches for each
spec.

With this, every spec has its own 'development' process but we can
easily publish all official specs.
--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo at gnome-db.org>