menu-spec URL entries

Damjan Jovanovic damjan.jov at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 02:02:31 PDT 2008

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 10:40 AM, Patryk Zawadzki <patrys at pld-linux.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 8:21 AM, Brian J. Tarricone <bjt23 at cornell.edu> wrote:
>> Not that I fundamentally disagree; I see no reason why Link items
>> shouldn't be allowed in menus, aside from just increasing complexity of
>> the implementation (which is generally pretty damned complex as it is).

The code handling the contents of a desktop entry shouldn't have to
know where the entry came from. This worked in older versions of
Gnome, but apparently got taken out because the spec disallowed it,
not because it was too complex.

> Well I do. XDG menus are task-oriented and sticking 666 "limited
> offer!!!11!one install bundled app" links per app into there is a bad
> idea. And that's what ISVs use the link entries for. Documentation
> should be accessible from the application itself so no separate entry
> there. Ditto for homepage.

Putting such links on the desktop - where they will work - is much
worse IMO. And Wine has to support Windows applications that put them
into menus.

Menu URL links would be useful for when you want a menu link to your
web mail account, or any web<->desktop integration project, eg.
Mozilla Prism.

Also, disallowing Type=Link for undocumented reasons doesn't stop
people using Type=Application with firefox or xdg-open, it just annoys
developers, creates bugs for users, and makes the menu implementation
or spec look broken.