Trash Spec Idea

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Wed Aug 13 12:22:47 PDT 2008

João Valverde wrote:

> I think another approach is needed. This information needs to be
> centralized somewhere. My suggestion is (following the spirit of the
> current spec) to create some metadata *.trashcan files in
> $XDG_DATA_HOME/Trash that would describe every other partition's
> trashcan, obviously containing the full path and maybe with some size
> limits and auto cleanup settings as a bonus.
[...]
> These would either be created and configured by an administrator or by
> implementations when opening trashcans.

So what happens when the user adds a disk to the system?  They have to
remember to edit this metadata?  Or does some C implementation of the
trash spec have to update this?  If so, then how is that better than the
current situation of determining on the fly?

> Is this feasible? Better than going through mtab right?

No, parsing mtab is probably the right way to go here.

	-brian