Trash Spec Idea

João Valverde backup95 at netcabo.pt
Thu Aug 14 19:59:23 PDT 2008

Andrea Francia wrote:

>     There are a lot of filesystems out there and it seems futile to
>     keep track of every single one. One possibility is writing a
>     parser in C
>     that compares the filesystems in /proc/filesystems (I assume "nodev"
>     means it's a virtual filesystem?) against /etc/mtab and returns the
>     mount points that have the correct type.
>

> Are you sure that all filesystems with nodev are fake filesystems?

Pretty sure... Again, there are probably weird exceptions out there. I
don't know about FUSE though. Is it relevant for trash purposes? I
really don't know... I see that gvfs-fuse-daemon uses the type
"fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon" in /etc/mtab and that doesn't match any entry in
/proc/filesystems.

> If you rely on /proc/filesystems your program will work only on those
> system that have the /proc filesystem available.

But it should still work on all Unix-like systems. It's not so different
than depending on /etc/mtab.

> I think that the blacklist alternative is better.
>
> At the present trash-cli doesn't have yet a black-list, simply checks
> if the .Trash directory exists. This works for me.
> If you don't have a /net fileststem the blacklist will only speed up
> the list-trash operation of few milliseconds, I'll implement that only
> after other things.

I have to disagree there. You're hard coding something that can be
provided dynamically by the kernel. I wrote some basic proof of concept
type code and it seems to work well. It prints to stdout all the mount
points associated with device nodes. Even as a command line tool maybe
it could fill a legitimate need if improved. I'm attaching it in case
anyone is interested, I hope that's OK.

Regards,

João Valverde