Specification for per directory settings

Patryk Zawadzki patrys at pld-linux.org
Wed Aug 20 16:05:51 PDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 12:22 AM, Adrien BUSTANY <madcat at mymadcat.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> this is my first post to the list, so hello everyone !
> I've been lately developping an extension for a file manager which uses
> emblems on folders to mark their relation with a project. I searched for
> a standard for per directory settings but didn't find one. My problem is
> with emblems, but the same goes for custom icons, custom sorting, or
> even localized names etc.
> I think the freedesktop world could really benefit from a standard
> addressing this concern, if it's well thought of course :-)
> This mail is hence a call for brainstorming, here are a few starting
> points :
> - For each folder that has custom settings, store a hidden file with the
> settings inside. That's what Dolphin, and the Finder on Mac OS X does.
> - Store all the custom settings in a centralized file, most likely in
> the home user directory (possibly in .config). I guess that what
> Nautilus does for emblems, although that needs confirmation.
>
> What do you guys think about that ? Do you have a better answer ? Am I
> posting to the right list ? :-)

Store it in extended attributes and fall back to hidden file when
moving to media that does not support them (archive, teh internets,
fat) and reinstantiate the attributes when moving back (I believe
that's what OSX does in most of the cases and as a bonus it saves you
a bunch of stats).

--
Patryk Zawadzki