Specification for per directory settings

Adrien BUSTANY madcat at mymadcat.com
Thu Aug 21 09:36:35 PDT 2008

Patryk Zawadzki a écrit :
> On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 5:12 PM, Adrien BUSTANY <madcat at mymadcat.com> wrote:
>
>> OK, let's forget the read only media for now then...
>> The only downside I see with hidden files is the following usecase :
>> Tom uses windows, and gives his usb key to Sally
>> Sally plugs the usb key into her linux system, and changes some sorting
>> properties. The file manager creates a .directory (or whatever it's called)
>> file on the usb key.
>> When Tom gets the usb key back, he sees lot of dot files, and doesn't know
>> what they're about.
>> I don't know if dot files are automatically marked as "hidden" in the FAT
>> sense when using a FAT fs on Linux... How do we address that ?
>>

> There is a hidden attribute that should be used on filesystems that
> support it :)

Clearly we need a lib to abstract that. We also need to make that lib
totally desktop independant...
And also I'd really be happy if we reach a point where the solution we
choose can be defined as a standard (that was my initial point). I guess
that implies that there should be more than two people participating in
this discussion :-) Maybe a blog article would be a good way to get
people into the discussion, but I don't have a blog :-s