executable .desktop files

Egon Kocjan egon at krul.ath.cx
Fri Aug 22 02:33:41 PDT 2008

Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On Friday 22 August 2008 10:46:16 Egon Kocjan wrote:
>>> This also includes
>>> making sure there's an interpreter already installed in the system: then
>>> you can make use of a .desktop or a MIME type to load with a single click
>>> (the first step was installing the interpreter).
>> Yes, if we're talking about document oriented applications. Klik on the
>> other hand adds a new type of executables (.cmg) to the system. It seems
>> to me, that they were forced into "subverting" the system to provide
>> application bundles.
>
> It seems to me that the klik solution is the correct one: you associate a file
> type with an interpreter/loader.

So, installing a "backdoor" double-click support on the system is ok, as
long as you hassle the user once in the beginning with shell commands?

Imagine my situation - I provide certain instant applications. Would it
be ok for me to provide a .companyname file handler, which simply does
"chmod +x app.companyname && ./app.companyname"? Technically, it's an
interpreter for my type of applications.