Specifying thumbnailers as a service

Philip Van Hoof spam at pvanhoof.be
Fri Aug 29 04:59:22 PDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-08-29 at 11:03 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-08-29 at 11:25 +0200, Philip Van Hoof wrote:
> >
> >       <arg type="i" name="size_x" direction="in" />
> >       <arg type="i" name="size_y" direction="in" />
>
> In the libgnomeui API, you only set one of those, and aspect ratio is
> preserved. The size passed is the maximum width and height.

Or we make it even more simply and have "normal", "big", "small" only.

The client receives paths, not pixbufs. So the client is going to be
responsible for resizing anyway.

Else the thumbnailer would have to make subdirectories in .thumbnails
for all sizes ever requested. Instead of giving a near match and letting
the consumer of the thumbnail do a resize.

I don't know, what is the experience of other thumbnailers on this
issue?

I'm not sure if we by definition have to support exact pixel sizes. Just
normal, big, small (and maybe allow huge and tiny too).

Less is more ;-) - not sure if it's applicable here -

home: me at pvanhoof dot be
gnome: pvanhoof at gnome dot org
http://pvanhoof.be/blog
http://codeminded.be