Linux packaging system and file hierarchy

Eugene Gorodinsky e.gorodinsky at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 03:12:18 PST 2008

Thinking more about this topic, it seems impossible to have a full
filesystem hierarchy independence as that would require recompilation of
packages, and not all ISVs make their software open source. As I have very
little experience in repackaging software for different linux distros, the
only difference I see between the packages for different distros (assuming
they do use a packaging system) is the difference in where the files are
placed (whether it's /usr or /usr/local) and the names of dependencies (if
the packaging format and system rely on package names for dependency
checks). But I'm guessing there must be something else, so am I missing
something?