file selector abstraction (GUI) (libfileselector.so)

Mark Seaborn mrs at mythic-beasts.com
Mon Dec 15 14:42:15 PST 2008

Jakob Petsovits <jpetso at gmx.at> wrote:

> On Monday, 15. December 2008, Mark Seaborn wrote:
> > The purpose is for the file chooser to act as a security mechanism,
> > granting the requesting application access to the chosen file.
>
> I hope that is meant as improvement of the user experience rather than an
> actual security measure. If you just rely on the file selector to implement
> security, you'll be bypassed for sure by some other method to open a file
> (command line arguments, drag 'n drop, D-Bus, whatever you can think of).

You might want to read the links.  It's a security mechanism.  This is
part of a sandboxing system (http://plash.beasts.org).  The trusted
file chooser is one way the sandbox can be granted additional
authority by the user.  The trusted file chooser component has access
to all of the user's files, but the application, by default, doesn't.

Mark