new .desktop file entry key

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Tue Dec 16 05:27:46 PST 2008

On Saturday 13 of December 2008, andres wrote:
> Hello,
> The entry StartupWMClass is currently used to mach a given window by either
> its ICCCM Window Class or Name properties.
>
> Creating a new .desktop entry StartupWMName used exclusively for Window
> Name and limiting StartupWMClass to Window Class alone will makes this
> matching more intuitive for developers and users editing the .desktop files
> manually or via GUI.
>
> For example: wine sets the Window Class to "Wine" and the Window Name
> to "BinaryFile.exe". In this case we have to set StartupWMClass
> to "BinaryFIle.exe" instead of the current Window Class if we want to match
> the window to the .desktop file.
>
> If we could create a .desktop file with:
> StartupWMClass = "Wine"
> StartupWMName = "BinaryFIle.exe"
>
> The window manager could do additional .desktop file grouping, matching and
> manipulation by either value. Using a .desktop file manipulation library
> 100% conforming to the standard like efreet. Instead of coding around the
> limitation with an X-tension entry and custom non-standard functions for
> .desktop file matching.
>
> I think this change is trivial enough for the improvement of intuitiveness
> and flexibility it brings to the standard.

 The StartupWMClass is basically legacy support for applications which do not
have direct startup notification support. You can still easily match your
"BinaryFile.exe" example and applications which would have support for your
proposal should better simply have direct support, so I do not see the
usefulness of your proposal.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http://www.suse.cz