file selector abstraction (GUI) (libfileselector.so)

Rodney Dawes dobey.pwns at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 10:29:27 PST 2008

On Wed, 2008-12-17 at 11:14 -0600, Ted Gould wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-12-16 at 19:12 +0000, Mark Seaborn wrote:
> > I would also argue that preview widgets should not be application
> > specific.  A previewer should be registered to work across all
> > applications.  For example, you should get previews when choosing a
> > file to attach to an e-mail, but the e-mail application should not
> > have to implement the previewers.
>
> Well, for instance Inkscape implements it's own file preview.  This is
> largely because Inkscape is a more complete SVG renderer than the normal
> file preview.  It doesn't make sense to use the Inkscape previews for
> all applications as it is much slower and for most people it doesn't
> matter.

Do you have an enumeration of the differences here? It would be really
great if we could get rsvg and inkscape to render SVGs the same all the
time. It is supposed to be a standard, after all. If we could enumerate
the tasks to get rsvg and inkscape on par with each other's rendering,
and possibly had a person or two from the inkscape community help with
the coding (there's only one person who hacks on rsvg afaik, and he
doesn't really have much time to devote to it), I think the whole SVG
world in the desktop would be a lot better for us all. :)

-- Rodney