Default Program | File Association

David Faure dfaure at trolltech.com
Tue Jan 29 09:02:06 PST 2008

On Tuesday 29 January 2008, Stanislav Brabec wrote:
> David Faure wrote:
> > On Tuesday 29 January 2008, Stanislav Brabec wrote:
> > >
> > Applications should simply install a .desktop file that describes them.
> > In order for the default order of applications (i.e. without user configuration available)
> > to be non-random, we (in KDE) use a InitialPreference field in the .desktop file,
> > and the default application for a mimetype is the one with the highest initial preference number.
>
> Hopefully GNOME does not implement InitialPreference any more. Otherwise
> GNOME would start KDE applications for all tasks. (It was a real problem
> in one of older GNOME versions.)

OK that's a valid concern, which can be solved with [InitialPreferences-KDE] and [InitialPreferences-Gnome]
I suppose. But this defeats the point of standardizing it I guess, we could just implement our own different
solutions. Fine with me. I just wanted to point out that the solution is an initial preference per application/mimetype
combination, rather than letting applications mess up defaults.list - that's the job of the user.