Default Program | File Association

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Jan 29 10:11:13 PST 2008

David Faure wrote:
>I never mentionned a backwards compatibility issue; the issue is bigger
> than this: the issue is that kwrite.desktop saying InitialPreference=8
> and gedit.desktop saying InitialPreference=9 would mean that all KDE
> users get gedit just because their distro installed it; and vice-versa
> if gedit says 7. So the concept doesn't work in a cross-desktop manner.

Suggestion:

kwrite.desktop:
[InitialPreferences]
text/plain=6

[InitialPreferences-KDE]
text/plain=9

gedit.desktop:
[InitialPreferences]
text/plain=6

[InitialPreferences-GNOME]
text/plain=9

Each desktop would allow each .desktop to override the initial preference,
in the case that the application wants to be the default for that
desktop. Failing to add the global InitialPreferences means the
application declines to be considered the default over any other (i.e.,
preference = 0).

Also note that an application with preference of 10 would override both
the above, in either desktops.

This can be used in the reverse manner too, in order to lower the
preference. I can't think of a realistic use-case for it, though.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358