Default Program | File Association

David Faure dfaure at trolltech.com
Tue Jan 29 11:36:28 PST 2008

On Friday 25 January 2008, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> In each directory with desktop files we also have a "defaults.list" file
> which is similar to the mimeinfo.cache file. It lists for each mimetype
> the default apps to use for it as a list of desktop file names that are
> to be looked up in the order specified (as some might not exist, or be
> marked as ignored for one particular desktop or in general). This file
> looks something like:
>
> [Default Applications]
> application/x-dia-diagram=fedora-dia.desktop
> application/x-bzip=gnome-file-roller.desktop
> image/jpeg=gnome-eog.desktop;gthumb.desktop;

Is there a specification for the format of defaults.list?

In particular, I noticed that use ';' as separator like the desktop entry standard,
but it doesn't write a trailing ';' on entries with a single item like the desktop entry
standard mandates (and kde4's config file parser warns about this).

Also, that specification would need to be updated to add "[Removed Associations]".

(btw KDE will probably also add two kde-specific groups in that file, for kparts components)