Default Program | File Association

Patryk Zawadzki patrys at pld-linux.org
Tue Jan 29 15:20:48 PST 2008

On Jan 29, 2008 6:30 PM, Mhall <mhall at polk.net> wrote:
> > Alternatives don't work for this:
> > * we need a _list_ of default applications, so that when one is not available (removed, wrong desktop, cannot start, etc.) we pick the next one in the list
> I'm pretty sure you can get that from alternatives.

Alternatives is a huge filesystem mess that many distros would deny to
implement (including me personally). It also does not solve the
problem of ordering entries nor does it allow per-user preferences (as
opposed to per-machine).

To go even further, none of the proposed solutions solve the problem
of working on multiple remote machines without having to reconfigure
each of them manually but I think we can skip that part.

--
Patryk Zawadzki
PLD Linux Distribution