Default Program | File Association

Stanislav Brabec sbrabec at suse.cz
Wed Jan 30 02:23:22 PST 2008

David Faure wrote:

> > > Yes, I do see how that is a problem, especially since alternatives is global not per-user.  But then again, maybe a KDE user wants GEdit to open text/plain instead of Kate, you never know.  How exactly is this solved now?  Sorry if it's already been explain, I've only recently been paying attention.
> >
> > KDE uses InitialPreference. GNOME uses defaults.list.
>
> No, the "initial" preference is only initial: in the absence of user configuration.
> If a KDE 3 or 4.0 user wants to use GEdit, the configuration module writes out a profilerc file.
> In 4.1 it will be written to defaults.list.

System wide defaults.list is also only "initial" preference for GNOME.

> This problem is solved. What is not solved is the default order, when NO user-configuration exists,
> but it was pointed out that the default order is desktop-dependent anyway, so the implementation
> can stay desktop-dependent. I just don't want that installing a (gnome) applications means
> that some script will automatically change defaults.list... The app itself can do it if the user clicks
> "yes make this the preferred app", at runtime, then it's okay. But not at "make install" / apt-get / rpm time.

If KDE will start to use defaults.list, the OpenSUSE defaults.list magic
has to be redone. As written in one of previous mails, having desktop
dependent defaults.list may be a solution.

And because current version of GNOME could have only one default
application per MIME type, generating of defaults.list from a
meta-format is the only actually working solution. (KDE knows the next
candidate, so it has no problem with it.)

--
Best Regards / S pozdravem,

Stanislav Brabec
software developer
SUSE LINUX, s. r. o.                          e-mail: sbrabec at suse.cz
Lihovarská 1060/12                            tel: +420 284 028 966
190 00 Praha 9                                fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic                                http://www.suse.cz/