Default Program | File Association

David Faure dfaure at trolltech.com
Wed Jan 30 14:36:22 PST 2008

On Wednesday 30 January 2008, Alexander Larsson wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-01-30 at 12:49 +0100, David Faure wrote:
> > This is the advantage of the InitialPreference solution: it works out
> > of the box.

> > > If KDE will start to use defaults.list, the OpenSUSE defaults.list magic
> > > has to be redone.
> >
> > Either that, or OpenSUSE should provide no defaults.list at all....
> > OK this is not going to work in a backwards-compatible manner, I can see that now.
> > We are changing the meaning of defaults.list from "the system/distro defaults (possibly modified by user)"
> > to "the sysadmin or user preferences".
> >
> > I think we should separate the two. How about we keep defaults.list for defaults, as the name indicates
> > (in fact those would keep being the gnome defaults and wouldn't be read by kde), and we use a new name, like
> > applicationpreferences.list for the sysadmin & user preferences (that apply to all freedesktop implementations
> > reading this soon-standardized file)?
>
> I like the idea

Cool :)

> but the filename is a bit long. I can't think of a really good short one though. "custom.assoc"?

Huho, a naming question; these tend to generate huge threads since everyone will chip in :-)
Yeah it's difficult to name it since it contains app preference order, custom associations (added or removed),
and this both at the user level and at the system level. But it's all about the mime-app relation,
and the spec was to be called "mime actions" iirc, so maybe mimeactions.list? or mimeapps.list?
(the list suffix keeps some consistency with gnome's defaults.list, but other than that I don't really care for a suffix :-)
I don't like custom.assoc much because it's not only about adding/removing associations... but well it's just a name.