Default Program | File Association

David Faure dfaure at trolltech.com
Wed Jan 30 15:49:23 PST 2008

On Wednesday 30 January 2008, Claes H wrote:
> Even if it is too early to standardize something like this, hopefully
> it can be used as input to the discussion, keeping in mind for future
> extensions...
Indeed.

> perhaps some day we will see edit-defaults.list and view-defaults.list?
Well we still need a main "defaults" file (for the double-click action) so we can't split it that way.

So view/edit differenciation is more of an attribute of the mime-app association.
Except that I can't really find a case where an app edits some mimetypes and only views
other mimetypes, so for now I'd suggest just making it a per-app setting, i.e.
a new desktop file key like ActionType=edit or ActionType=view. Then filemanagers can
split out the "edit" and the "view" associated applications into two groups.
(I didn't name the key just "Action" because we have "Actions" already)

Your idea about RMB/Execute is good - but it sounds like one that would be built-into
the file manager rather than coming from desktop files, so I'm leaving this one aside for now.