xdg base dir spec

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Wed Jul 2 18:26:07 PDT 2008

On Wed, 2 Jul 2008 22:34:45 +0200 Kees Scherpenhuijzen wrote:

> Just to make sure;
> >> And a common question: when i try to echo some of these variables
> >> it returns a empty line. Does this mean it will take the default?
> >
> >No.  If you're using libxfce4util (I think Thunar may link to it
> >already, so no added dep in doing so), you should use
> >xfce_resource_lookup() and xfce_resource_save_location().
> You are now stating that this function *must* be used to "simulate"
> the same effect
> $XDG_CONFIG_HOME would give?

I'm saying that those functions will return the correct result
whether or not the env vars are set.

> Question about the use of these 2 functions:
> When using xfce_resource_lookup (), second parameter is const gchar
> *filename and with xfce_resource_save_location (), second parameter
> is const gchar *relpath.
> Does this mean the path must be harcoded implemented?(~/.config
> and/or ~/.local)

Read the docs:
http://www.xfce.org/documentation/api/libxfce4util/libxfce4util-Resource-lookup-functions.html

The path you pass to the function is the path that you want relative to
the XDG basedir path.  The correct basedir will get prepended to the
path you pass to the function.

	-brian