Content types

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Wed Jul 2 21:06:03 PDT 2008

> I'm attaching patches for the shared-mime-info spec, for
> update-mime-database (to create treemagic files) and a standalone
> implementation of tree matching using the treemagic files (this will
> become part of a future g_mount_guess_content_type() function in GIO).
> If these additions are accepted, I will also prepare a patch to
> add the content types that are currently defined in nautilus.xml
> to freedesktop.xml.

Its been a month since I sent out this proposal, and the only comment I
have heard so far is that the name "Content types" may be slightly
ambiguous. My proposal for addressing this is to change the section
title to "Content types for volumes", and stick with x-content for the
type, since it is already in use.

If there is no further feedback, I'd like to move ahead with adding this
to the spec, since we want to implement content type sniffing in gvfs
soon.

Matthias