Sound naming spec: problems with prefixes

Bastien Nocera hadess at hadess.net
Thu Jul 17 06:29:19 PDT 2008

Heya,

I feel some of the names for the sounds are the wrong way around.

For example:
network-connectivity-lost
network-connectivity-error
network-connectivity-established

To me, network-connectivity-error should be error-network-connectivity.
So that we could have a generic error sound.

phone-failure should probably be "phone-error", or even "error-phone".

The problem I see is that for some sounds, it's good to be able to match
to a prefix, but sometimes it's not good enough. So to set a generic
"error" sound, I'd need to modify:
dialog-error
battery-low
power-unplug-battery-low (shouldn't that be battery-low-power-unplug?)
battery-caution

file-trash should probably be trash-file (to match with trash-empty).

I've targetted 30-odd sounds (including the bell) to be user modifiable
in the preferences:
* Battery warning:
power-unplug-battery-low
battery-low
battery-caution

* Long action completed:
complete-copy
complete-download
complete-media-burn
complete-media-rip
complete-scan

* Bells:
bell-terminal
bell-window-system

* Button clicked:
button-pressed
menu-click
menu-popup
menu-popdown

* Button toggled:
button-toggle-off
button-toggle-on

* Login:
desktop-login

* Logout:
desktop-logout

* Error:
dialog-error

* Information or question (have a better idea?)
dialog-information
dialog-question

* Warning:
dialog-warning