[TextShare] - proposal to make a desktop-wide format for text

François Revol revol at free.fr
Tue Jun 17 13:33:48 PDT 2008

> > You know Shift-Ctrl-v in OOo proposes you a list of formats before
> > pasting, just select plain text there.
>
> Which wastes almost as much time when you're cut and pasting every 2
> minutes.

Yeah but I still have to find where to change the default.

> The fact is, applications and documents have very different ideas of
> what formatted text is (I write documents because in OO.o the style
> space is document-specific, so two documents from the same app may
> disagree). That means that except for quick and dirty casual cut and
> paste, where you don't care about the result correctness, and just
> want
> a good enough approximation, formatted text cut & paste is almost
> always
> wrong. It usually takes more time to untangle the mess "rich" text
> cut &
> paste creates than to reformat starting from plain text.

I totally agree on that :)
Maybe it should instead be xml-based, using formats, but that would
only work inside OOo itself, so...

> So if formatted text cut & pasted text is generalized:
> 1. it must be de-activable desktop-wide
> 2. it must not move plain text cut and paste to some other shortcut
+1.

> 3. avoiding it must not rely on an inefficient dialog that asks to
> select from a list

Well, problem is shift-ctrl-v in OOo opens the popup with the exact
same selection that would have been used for ctrl-v, so it forces you
to select in the list (even if with arrow keys), that makes at least 3
strokes. Maybe selecting plain text by default would be handy.

François.