[TextShare] - proposal to make a desktop-wide format for text

Liam R E Quin liam at holoweb.net
Fri Jun 20 10:48:38 PDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 12:47 +0200, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Friday 20 June 2008, Liam R E Quin wrote:

> I am not sure that creating yet-another-format will be benefitial, because
> additionally to advocating it to application developers (which would also be
> necessary for any other option), it has to be implemented and shipped in at
> least the four major sofware stacks (GTK+, Qt, Mozilla, OOo).

Yes, that's true.  I don't have strong feelings on how the solution is
accomplished, only that I want to see copy/paste working better.

Jon Cruz's dragondrop tool (dragondrop.sf.net) may help people debug
things.

> If the decision is that a document interchange format is not needed within
> this scope, I'd say that, given the main software stacks above, the most
> logical recommendation is XHTML (GTK+ and Qt have WebKit, Mozilla's main
> product *is* a web browser and OOo can already do at least file based I/O
> from/to HTML)

It's possible that XHTML can be used as an intermediary, although HTML's
formatting capabilities are pretty rudimentary.

Maybe first step is to document formats accepted and the order they
are chosen, in various applications.  Hmm, maybe it would be OK to
use the opendesktop wiki for that, is that plausible?

Liam