protocol/scheme entry in .desktop?

Vincent Untz vuntz at gnome.org
Mon Jun 30 00:21:26 PDT 2008

Le jeudi 26 juin 2008, à 17:11 +0200, David Faure a écrit :
> Hmm I thought I implemented it for application desktop files too, but now I can't find that code anymore. Memory overload :)
> I had the idea of supporting X-KDE-Protocols=<list of protocols> or X-KDE-Protocols=KIO for "all protocols supported by KIO".
> Of course the problem is that this is hard to standardize; if we said in the desktop entry standard that you
> can write Protocols=KIO then how would non-kde apps know what protocols this means exactly...

We had a discussion about this at FOSSCamp, and I totally failed to mail
the list about it. The idea we came with was to have something like
this:

 + add a VfsBackend key to desktop files, where the value could be KIO,
   gio, etc.
 + then, have $XDG_DATA_DIRS/vfs/{KIO,gio,etc.}/ contain a list of
   desktop files for each URI scheme it supports

Eg, right now, for gio, we would basically have the same content in
in /usr/share/vfs/gio as in /usr/share/gvfs/mounts

The reason for something like this is that:

 + an application using KIO or gio or another vfs system might not know
   what schemes are supported in the vfs so can't list all the schemes
   itself
 + only putting KIO or gio is not enough, since you can have additional
   backends for URI schemes (and it requires implementors to know what
   schemes are supported, similar to the first point)

How does it sound to you?

Then, we also wanted to have a spec defining the standard URI schemes,
so that we all agree (ssh? sftp?). This would just be a spec listing
stuff.

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.