Mime Spec updates: Matching order and generic icons

David Faure dfaure at trolltech.com
Mon Mar 3 10:40:53 PST 2008

On Monday 03 March 2008, Bastien Nocera wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-03-03 at 16:05 +0100, David Faure wrote:
> <snip>
> > This is not good! It means that any mimetype xml file I generate now with an icon field,
> > will break for users who have not upgraded to the future version of update-mime-database
> > which will include support for the icon field!
> >
> > 1.20         (talex    05-Mar-03):              g_set_error(error, MIME_ERROR, 0,
> > 1.20         (talex    05-Mar-03):                      _("Unknown freedesktop.org field '%s'"),
> > 1.20         (talex    05-Mar-03):                      field->name);
> >
> > I suggest making it a warning at least -- or removing that else clause completely,
> > to allow future changes in the mime spec.
>
> That sounds fair. Feel free to commit a patch to do that

I don't think I have write access (or I forgot the password if I ever had).
The patch is ultra-simple though: remove those three lines and the "else" that precedes them.

> or let me know when you want this fixed by

5 years ago, preferrably :-)

I'm stuck now, I can't even enable the code that writes out an icon element, it would break stuff for everyone :(
I guess I'll make it dependent on a shared-mime-info version check, but for this I need a new shared-mime-info release.

> (and file a bug).

This mail not enough? :)