User bus?

Patryk Zawadzki patrys at pld-linux.org
Tue Mar 4 01:24:57 PST 2008

On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 8:35 AM, Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org> wrote:
> Patryk Zawadzki wrote:
> >Havoc, would you see that as a viable change?
>  I do have a question, though: what does registering the session bus
>  address with CK buy you? What are the advantages over the storing in the
>  X11 Window?

The use case I mentioned earlier in the thread: beaing able to ask CK
for all existing session buses and say try to send a critical message
to all active notification-daemons (say, "machine will reboot it 2hrs"
or "maintenance mode, some services will be down") or just those
belonging to members of some specific admin group ("warning, printing
spool seems stuck"). It would be more or less trivial to implement if
CK could provide such information (protected by some PolicyKit policy)
and I believe such information really belongs to ConsoleKit as it is
*the* session tracking service.

--
Patryk Zawadzki
PLD Linux Distribution