Mime Spec updates: Matching order and generic icons

David Faure dfaure at trolltech.com
Tue Mar 4 06:50:49 PST 2008

On Tuesday 04 March 2008, Bastien Nocera wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-03-03 at 19:40 +0100, David Faure wrote:
> > On Monday 03 March 2008, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > >
> > > On Mon, 2008-03-03 at 16:05 +0100, David Faure wrote:
> > > <snip>

> > > That sounds fair. Feel free to commit a patch to do that
> >
> > I don't think I have write access (or I forgot the password if I ever had).
> > The patch is ultra-simple though: remove those three lines and the "else" that precedes them.
>
> Committed

Thanks!

> > > or let me know when you want this fixed by
> >
> > 5 years ago, preferrably :-)
>
> I'm afraid that won't be possible.

No time machine around? Damn :)

> > I'm stuck now, I can't even enable the code that writes out an icon element, it would break stuff for everyone :(
> > I guess I'll make it dependent on a shared-mime-info version check, but for this I need a new shared-mime-info release.
>
> So, do I need to do a release now?

Actually it would be more useful also have the support for icon (and generic-icon) into update-mime-database,
the no-error-on-icon-element fix doesn't bring much by itself other than forward compat.
Who plans to implement the support for icon and generic icon from Alexander's spec update? Alexander or you?
If the ETA is "soon" then the release can wait; if the ETA is "possibly several months" then a release would
be useful indeed, to increase the number of users having a non-aborting update-mime-database installed
when the time comes.