Desktop Bookmark Spec: Extensions/Clarifications

nf2 nf2 at scheinwelt.at
Tue Mar 4 17:11:38 PST 2008

http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/desktop-bookmark-spec

This is about standardizing and sharing file-management shortcuts -
custom links that get listed in the side-pane of file-managers and
file-dialogs - in Gnome also in places/bookmarks and nautilus/bookmarks.
For KDE i already did some work on the KBookmark system to make this
possible (The next step would be pointing KFilePlacesModel to the right
path, and moving the list of "root"-items to a different storage - in
KDE they are not hard-coded like in Gnome).

Both desktops already have XBEL libraries for managing bookmarks, but
there are still some open questions:

1) Location/Name of the file:

$XDG_DATA_DIR/shortcuts.xbel as Emmanuele Bassi suggested? Perhaps
renaming it to filemgr-shortcuts.xbel?

2) Change notification:

KDE uses DBus signals for bookmark change notification. Would it be
possible for Gnome/GTK to send a DBus signal after editing the bookmarks
file? Or should we add a new option to KBookmarkManager to monitor the
bookmark file on the file-system when dealing with shared bookmarks.

3) Icons:

KDE allows to pick custom icons for bookmarks. Rather than full paths to
icons it uses "named icons". I have a patch for KBookmark to store the
icon-name in the metadata:

   <metadata owner="http://freedesktop.org" >
    <bookmark:icon name="folder-red" />
   </metadata>

This would add another (optional) attribute to the icon element: "name"
(At the moment only "type" and "href" are in the spec)

4) Mime-Type

File-management shortcuts don't really need the mime-type set, because
they only point to folders (would always be "inode/directory" anyway).

5) Groups:

File-management shortcuts can't have nested groups (both KDE and Gnome
use "flat" lists for this purpose). I guess this should also be
mentioned in the spec.

Regards,
Norbert