Elektra 0.7.0rc2

Markus Raab registry at markus-raab.org
Wed Mar 26 01:59:46 PDT 2008

Am Mittwoch, 26. März 2008 02:25 schrieben Sie:
> Do you have any comparisons of the advantage of using this instead of
> EET[1,2]? Enlightenment is using EET for a long time now and things
> just work, it's easy to use and performs well, does not depend on
> external libraries.

Elektra is also easy to use and does not depend on external libraries. The
difference is that we realized that there is no perfect format for storing
configuration so we leave that decision out. We introduce a global namespace
for configuration in an operating system independent way. This allows a
programmer to identify keys without knowing where they are actually stored,
which could be EET, but also a configuration file, berkley db, the windows
registry,.. realized through backends.

See http://www.libelektra.org/GetStartedMounting how you can set the key
system/filesystems/rootfs/type storing them into a filesys or in the
legacy /etc/fstab.

> [1] http://wiki.enlightenment.org/index.php/Eet
> [2] http://www.enlightenment.org/viewvc/e17/libs/eet/

Sounds very nice, I will have a look at it. The disadvantage is that you can't
read or edit that files. But it would certainly be a very good backend if you
need very fast reads.

Thank you
Markus Raab