mouse wheel scroll rate

Stanislav Brabec sbrabec at suse.cz
Wed Mar 26 06:29:58 PDT 2008

Andrew Pattison wrote:
> How can I set the mouse wheel scroll rate in X? I googled for this but
> couldn't find anything.

Typical mouse wheel is a discrete device with steps defined by hardware.
So there no way to change it.

Historical X behavior is mapping mouse wheel to Z-axis. Nearly no
application supports Z-axis, and most distributions remap mouse wheel to
sequences of virtual button 4 and 5 presses.

You have to change scroll step of particular applications or GUI
toolkits for these buttons.

--
Best Regards / S pozdravem,

Stanislav Brabec
software developer
SUSE LINUX, s. r. o.                          e-mail: sbrabec at suse.cz
Lihovarská 1060/12           tel: +420 284 028 966, +49 911 740538747
190 00 Praha 9                                  fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic                                    http://www.suse.cz/