API for binding and unbinding a key combo?

Justin Clift justin at salasaga.org
Sun Mar 30 07:47:11 PDT 2008

Thiago Macieira wrote:
<snip>
> This API is accessible via D-Bus. If wanted, we could work on making it an
> fd.o spec.

Hi all,

To add further impetus to this, take a look at the following for an
example of just what a nightmare NOT having a spec/standard for this is:

   http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Make_a_Screenshot_with_PrintScreen_Key

With a fd.o spec/standard, an application author like myself could
feasibly write code to bind a key at app start, then unbind it at app
finish.

At the moment, the above scattering of approaches across window managers
looks nightmarishly complex to me.  I can conceivably take time to write
code for 1 or 2 of the window managers... but not THAT lot (and there
would be more).

Many of those also look to be only accessible to Extremely Advanced
Power users. :-/

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

--