API for binding and unbinding a key combo?

Tuomo Valkonen tuomov at iki.fi
Sun Mar 30 13:28:10 PDT 2008

On 2008-03-30, Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org> wrote:
> Tuomo Valkonen wrote:
>>Since your app is already running, you can just XGrabKey, assuming
>>nothing else uses the key already.
>
> And that's exactly the problem: how do you find out if anyone else is=20
> using it? And how do you resolve the conflict in that case?

As I said before, that's an issue of configuration, not of grabbing
protocols. It could in in theory be solved by standardising on a
configuration system (abstractly locatable e.g. as app/bindings/foo/key).
But a monoculturst standardisation isn't really going to happen (unlike
so many aspire), and you're going to have to be able to handle the
case that the key is grabbed already. I doubt it's worth the effort
of even attempting to standardise the binding configuration locations.
Just complain, and let the user handle the issue.

--
Tuomo