API for binding and unbinding a key combo?

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Mon Mar 31 03:07:14 PDT 2008

On Monday 31 March 2008 11:52:43 Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 20:16 +0100, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > This API is accessible via D-Bus. If wanted, we could work on making it
> > an fd.o spec.
>
> What API is available via D-Bus exactly?
>
> I was thinking of adding to the gnome-keybindings-properties and
> gnome-settings-daemon a way to "execute" D-Bus commands, for
> applications not have to worry about grabbing keyboard keys themselves.

It's something we added for KDE 4.0. The big change is that the global
shortcuts, instead of being stored in a per-application configuration, are
now stored globally and handled by a single process.

That allows us to:
 - detect conflicts when two applications want to have the same shortcut
 - remember that an application bound to that shortcut even if it's not
running
 - list all global shortcuts (useful for learning)

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358