Commit notifications for specs

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Thu May 1 06:15:09 PDT 2008

On Wednesday 30 April 2008, Pau Garcia i Quiles wrote:

> A KDE developer (his nick is 'nf2', I can't remember his name)

Norbert Frese, but he is a GLib software stack developer (probably even a
GNOME developer) and is only recently working on KDE code, i.e. the bridge
you are referring to.

> developed a GIO->KIO bridge which makes possible to use GIO plugins in
> KIO. It was not accepted in KDE, I can't remember why. But this bridge
> would have been unnecessary, or at least a thinner layer, had a common
> spec and/or API be agreed.

The bridge needs, according to Norbert, some changes to KDE libs, which at the
time of adding the bridge to KDE SVN playground was frozen for 4.0
I think it is quite common to test new additions in the playground ->
review -> main module cycle, so I wouldn't call that "not accepted".

And I don't agree with "unnecessary" either. It provides as test bed and a
potential migration path, so it is a good start at sharing VFS
implementations.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring