Why .local/share ?

Liam R E Quin liam at holoweb.net
Wed Nov 12 08:10:33 PST 2008

On Tue, 2008-11-11 at 12:01 -0800, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> Liam R E Quin wrote:

> > You don't want lib or bin in there either -- my login directory
> > is on a network drive and can be used from machines with differing
> > CPU architectures.
>
> Then where do you install things like per-user app plugins?

Certainly nowhere starting with a "." -- I don't want to be
carrying binaries around in hidden directories in 10 years' time.

Generally, $HOME/bin/`arch` for binaries, or $HOME/lib/`arch`...
It can get tricky for things like GIMP plugins.

>   And when
> you want to install an app locally in your home directory where do you
> install it?

Sometimes in ~/packages/ -- I want to be able to see them easily :)

Liam