Why .local/share ?

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Wed Nov 12 09:21:55 PST 2008

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
>> Generally, $HOME/bin/`arch` for binaries, or $HOME/lib/`arch`...
>> It can get tricky for things like GIMP plugins.
>>

> Yes, but who actually *does* this?  As much as it would be nice if
> everyone did, it's rare for an app to consider multi-arch on the same
> filesystem.

I think you can look at multi-arch in different ways:
1) You keep stuff for multiple arches in your $HOME/<whatever>
directory, because that's just where you keep your stuff, as suggested above
2) You keep the "source" of the files that _end up_ in $HOME/<whatever>
in a separate 'source' directory independent of the 'installation'
directory.  You can then write scripts/tools/package manager or whatever
to "install" your stuff (from source code, build directories, custom
packages,... Could be on your own system or somewhere else) into the
$HOME/<whatever> directory.  That's how I see it.  I don't see $HOME/bin
or something as important per se, I only see it as a destination of
something else.  And that something else needs to be controlled.