Proposal: Rework the current xdg-utils. (with implementation details)

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Fri Nov 14 02:45:42 PST 2008

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 11:15:02AM +0800, 洪任諭 wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm the lead developer of LXDE. < http://lxde.org/ >
> I have some thoughts regarding to some limitations of current xdg-utils.
> Here are some proposals to rework it and make it totally extensible.
>
> Limitations of current implementation:
> 1. It only recognize gnome, xfce, and kde and is far from being truely
> cross-desktop.

I don't know if the patch has been accepted upstream, but in fedora we
use mimeopen, in last resort, from
http://search.cpan.org/~pardus/File-MimeInfo/
which is, in my opinion, a reasonable cross desktop choice.

This is not perfect, because mimeopen has some trouble with url, and
there were some proposal here to have a way, in .desktop files to
describe what uri protocol the application knows about, and whether it
uses a virtual file system, and which one. However these discussions
never end with a formal acceptance nor rejection.

A possible explanation about why this is ignored is that it seems
that people on this list are very focused on kde and gnome, which have
virtual file sytems and so nobody cares about desktop without virtual
file systems.

--
Pat