Idea about generic command framework for launching common applications

Darren Fulton dfulton at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 16:55:50 PST 2008

Thank you for your response.   The alternatives system is a good way to
go I think.  As for which program types or categories to designate, I
would think that we would want to identify the most commonly used types
of programs that people use, especially those where there are multiple,
largely interchangeable, programs within those categories.

Specifically, I'm thinking:
text-editor (I prefer text-editor to "editor", despite that "editor" is
traditionally used to reference a text editor),
web-browser (or www-browser),
image-editor,
image-viewer,
word-processor,
spreadsheet,
sound-player,
sound-recorder,
sound-editor,
email-client,
terminal,
file-manager.

I'm not dead-set on these, but these seem to be logical choices.  More
can be added in the future.

--
Thank you,

Darren Fulton