Icon naming spec: generic binary MIME type icon?

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Thu Nov 27 10:39:09 PST 2008

Hi,

I think the icon naming spec is lacking a generic binary MIME type icon.  For
example, recent shared-mime-info has set text-x-generic for a lot of file
types that have nothing to do with text, I suppose because there's no better
alternative available.  And I guess this will result in an icon for text
files being shown for quite a few binary files in some contexts, and being
confused ("Hey, the icon shows this is a text file, I have several text
editors installed, why doesn't it open when I click it?" or "Why does this
text file show only gibberish when I open it in a text editor?").

How about adding let's say

binary-x-generic: The icon used for generic binary file types.

...to the "Standard MIME Type Icons" list?